Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Hockey legend Wayne Gretzky, right, with wife Janet Jones at a Hillsborough memorial service
* Wayne Gretzky began his sports career as a forward for the London Blackhawks in the Ontario Hockey League.
* In 1973, Gretzky became the first player in NHL history to have two goals and two assists in a game.
* He scored a remarkable 257 goals in his final season with the Detroit Red Wings in 1979-80 and a further 50 goals in 1980-81.
* Gretzky had to retire in 1991 after neck surgery on his neck. He took up golf and eventually played 3,037 tournaments, taking first prize of £800,000 in 1997.
* The Edmonton Oilers won the 1984 Stanley Cup and Gretzky was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1996.
* In 1994, Gretzky was with the New York Rangers when a fan threw a teargas canister into the tunnel, narrowly missing him. He hit the part of the wall not covered in rocks and during the celebrations was hit by another hurled by team-mate Ed Giacomin.
* Gretzky was American expatriate, who lived in Toronto. His sons, Trevor and Trevor Jr, were both involved in Junior hockey. Trevor Jr (right) played 13 seasons in the NHL. He had more assists than any other player.
* Wayne Gretzky married Janet Jones in 1987 and the couple have two children together, Trevor, 20, and Beckett, 15.
Subscribe to the BBC Sport newsletter to get our pick of news, features and video sent to your inbox.